Sunday, October 29, 2006

Summer of 2000: Paradise cove and A&E!!



It was the summer of 2000. The CBS Rockford Files reunion movies we're still airing as repeats over the course of the season, A&E had just broadcast James Garner's offical Biography episode, and I was on my way to 'Jimmy's' home while on a job interview in LA!



I stopped in to visit Paradise Cove after my job interview looking for James Rockford and ended up meeting James Bond!!




In the Spring of 2000 I was watching an episode of A&E's popular series 'Biography', when I realized there hadn't been an episode of James Garner's life and career. I found that odd as he was on the cover of the first A&E monthly magazine. I went to my computer and emailed someone at A&E online to complain. I stated a brief overview of his career, him being the only actor to sue 2 major Hollyowood studios and win, etc etc, and as a joke I said something to the effect of " When will you be doing Mr.Garners episode? Or were you waiting for production of the bio of 'Mr.Ed the horse' to wrap first!??"

I fired it off into cyberspace thinking no one would read it or respond.

They did.

About 2 days later I recieved a response email from someone from 'Biography'asking me for more info on Mr. Garner, as they were also 'surprised his bio hadn't been done yet with him being such a popular star and because he was on the magazine cover". They also asked me for anyone else they could talk to regarding info on his life. I suggested Mr. Ed Robertson, who had written 2 books on Garner: 'Maverick:Legend of the West' and 'The Rockford Files'. I also scanned in the covers of my TV guides and attached those to the email to show how many times he'd been on it, proving his enduring popularity ( see my previous posts)

I sent that email out and I again thought I'd never hear back from them.

I did.

2 days later I got another email saying they were going 'greenlite' a James Garner Biography episode. At that time James Garner was in the news again having just finished a high-profile acting turn with Paul Newman ( Twilight , and had just signed to star in Clint Eastwoods' next movie (Space Cowboys). A&E stated that hopefully the Biography episode would be done in time for that films release. They also had contacted Ed Robertson and told me he agreed to help contribute to the Biography. A&E thanked me for bringing all this to their attention, and asked for my address.

I responded saying I was excited and to let me know when it was to air.

They did better than that...

About 3 months later, in mid July I recieved a package in the mail. It was a copy of the finished A&E BIOGRAPHY on VHS! The episode was not scheduled to be broadcast until August to coinicide with the 'Space Cowboys' release date, so I was able to view it before most of the world.

That was pretty cool, and ever since then I have remained in contact with, and have become friends with the great Ed Robertson. ( More on him later)

To this day I don't know, and cannot prove that the TV Guide covers they show within the Garner Biography episode are mine that I sent via email, but I like to think they are!

D

4 Comments:

Blogger A said...

Hi there!

Just here to say I've been reading the blog recently, seems your a bit more of a Rockford fan than me!

Keep up the work, its nice to know there are still people dedicated to keeping the show alive.

Regards,

1:04 PM  
Blogger Steve Daye said...

Okay, now you're just scaring me...what's next a picture of a used kleenex Jimmy tossed away then signed for you? ;)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Steve Daye said...

Okay, now you're just scaring me...what's next a picture of a used kleenex Jimmy tossed away then signed for you? ;)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sapphire_blue444 said...

Hey stranger, long time no see. I see the car is still around. You've done some nice things with it. It makes me happy to see how far you've came, from doodling on your moms kitchen table. Keep up the great work, my daughters love the work your doing, and so do I.

A long lost friend.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home