Sunday, October 01, 2006

Summer 2000 - The ultimate Rockford memoralbilia!


2000 was a great summer, and it was about to get even greater with the addition of the 'Rockfordmobile'!

I stumbled across a 1979 Pontiac Firebird sitting in a field in London, Ontario. It needed a paint job and some interior work, but I wanted my very first car to be memorable and special...so what better to have as my first car than Jim Rockford's car of choice! I dropped 900 bucks on it and drove it away!



A base model Firebird is very hard to find as not many people kept those in good condition because the highly prized, and souped up 'Trans Am' version was the car to get back then. 'Smokey and the Bandit' immortalized that car but James Garner felt that even though the Trans Am was cooler, Jim Rockford would probably only be able to afford the Firebird.



Even better still, for my birthday that year my girlfriend at the time did some inspired gift research and discovered that Jimbo's famous plate number '853 OKG' was not taken in Canada and secured it for me! It's now the ultimate Rockford Firebird!

I've even had one guy follow me home and when I get out of the car to see what he wanted, he was like " dude....is that Jim's plate number?" When I said said yes, and that he had a great memory, he smiled and said " HA! I knew it! I Love that show, and I love you're car man!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

That car is a sensation. Im a big fan of the series, and i prefer this base model over the Trans Am shape.
Its a cleaner line.
I really think you should get your car resprayed tan/gold its the colour of jims car and the best colour for that car too.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Janice Berry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home