Sunday, June 25, 2006

Welcome to " The Blogford Files"...at the tone, leave your name and message...I'll get back to you...




Welcome to...."The Blogford Files".

Since 1993 I have been a fan of the classic TV series " The Rockford Files". Over the past 14 years, driven by my interest in the show, it's enduring impact on television history, and the enjoyment of following the career of legendary actor James Garner, I have amassed a fairly large and interesting collection of Rockford/Garner related memorbilia. This site will follow my journey from casual fan of the show, to being the artist who designed the cover and inner artwork of the the 2005 best-selling book: "30 Years of: the Rockford Files" by Ed Robertson. For this book, James Garner himself sent me personal notes of thanks, and 4 bottles of his private vineyard wine called "Chateau Jimbo". This site will also follow the growth of my Rockford collection, from 1 magazine, to owning 1979 Firebird with plate number 853 OKG. I will also include ancedotes of interest with each item posted, and stories of my connection to the Rockford crew members.

How this all started...'thank you A&E'...


One evening in the fall of 1992, as I tuned in to A&E to get my daily dose of David Letterman repeats, I was met instead by a familiar opening theme to TV show I'd heard many times during my youth. A theme that always seemed to be playing somewhere in the background of my early childhood growing up in the mid 1970's. I was too young to watch the show during it's 1974-1980 run, but it's tv theme always reminds me, even to this day, of my parents' parties or card nights. I remember it's opening theme playing on my parent's black and white tv set many times, and my dad laughing at this very humorous actor...James Garner. Now in my mid-30's, I look back and realize my affection to this show, is more or less a deep-rooted affection of childhood, and perhaps an even deeper rooted fear of growing up. Those seemingly endless summer days filled with laughter and fun, most easily return to my minds' eye with the opening bars of Mike Post's greatest TV theme...the Rockford Files. I guess as long as Mr.Garner keeps releasing movies, and Rockford episodes keep popping up on TV, those fondly remembered childhood days of mine aren't really that far away...

I hope you enjoy this site and my collection, and please feel free to post your thoughts or comments as well!

Best,

Darin

8 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Darin,

Great blog!

I've been a RF fan since 1980, and a licenced PI here in Ontario since 1986.

I'm also a freelance writer, and working on some pieces about TRF now.

We seem to have a lot in common, besides our love for the series. Having tried to get the 853 OKG plate myself, I've always wondered who the bugger was who had already taken it! ;)

Please contact me directly at david.gibb@cogeco.ca I'd love to share some notes and chat with ya!

Cheers,

David

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jim Rockford said...

Hi Darin,
I had talked to you before through ebay and bought several Rockford items from you.
(I am the guy in California who has the 1978 Rockford files Esprit)
I just ran into your great Rockford site!
I was wondering what happened to you,and couldnt find you on ebay anymore.
I watched this show as a kid,and in my opinion it was one of the best shows ever made.
They dont make TV like this anymore,but then again they dont make actors like James Garner anymore either.
I drive my Rockford Firebird everyday and its fun because people come up to you and tell you how much they liked the show,and Jim Garner.
I went through the same crap Jim went through with DMV out here when I tried to get 853 OKG for 78 Esprit.
They simply WONT allow anyone to get that plate since it is a "regular production" license plate with three letter and three numbers.
I even called one of the head honchos in Sacramento regarding this,and explained it was going on a period correct car,but they said they absolutely could NOT issue any plate with only three numbers and three letters sequentially.
I heard this is the same ordeal James Garner went through when he tried to get the plates for his Mini Cooper. (California has way too many stupid rules)
Anyway,the bottom line is that I was forced to improvise and add one digit before the 853-OKG.
If you have an email address I can send you some photos of my Firebird.,I am also interested in some of you Rockford Items.
Thanks,Jim

10:47 AM  
Blogger NGagnon said...

Hello

I was in my teens in the mid 70's and two of my favorite shows was Rockford Files and Starsky & Hutch! Just the other day (Northern Virginia) I followed a tan/copper Camaro on Roberts Road for a couple miles and I thought to myself "man this looks like Jim Rockford's car". I slowed down a bit to see his license plate and it did read something like "ROCKFRD"! He then turn to another road. Like to talk with this guy.

4:53 AM  
Blogger jangel said...

Darin,
In most or all of the 8 Rockford Movies, Jim wore a Black Cap with Blue Fish Bones on it. Under the Fish are three words. I can't make out what they are? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Joe

jangel_07075@yahoo.com

11:05 AM  
Blogger TimC said...

I'm a huge fan of James Garner and "Rockford" but my first love is and always will be "Nichols", finest and darkest humor western ever made. Own two sets of the one season; it was made in, 1971 - such an advance series for its time. I saw an interview with J. Garner where he stated that the lost of "Nichols" was his biggest disappointment in TV.

7:24 PM  
Blogger ggg said...

Get TV is bringing NICHOLS back in September! That was always my Dad's favorite ;-)
Gigi Garner

2:29 PM  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Sophie Grace said...

Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks. Please check link things to do to find wonderful thing about travel

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home